Sunday, July 3, 2011

Spearhead Year Two

As promised in my last update letter, here is a bit of a glimpse into the path that God has brought me on as He lead me to stay in Mexico for another year.

If you had asked me at the beginning of this year whether I planned on staying any longer in Mexico, I would have politely replied that I just saw myself "doing a year in Mexico and then continuing on with my life in the states." That's essentially what I told my assistant director and mentor in January when she asked me what I thought about staying another year.

From there, though, God began to put the thought more and more on my mind and heart as I began to pray about whether or not I should stay another year. For most of the Spring I would say I was about 50-50, seeing good reasons to go home and good reasons to stay in Mexico. After a talk with my parents, I would be looking at plane flights home; after a talk with my directors here, I would be looking at ministry opportunities for a second year. Then, slowly but steadily, God began to turn my heart towards staying in Mexico.

Here are a list of areas that God addressed over the course of a couple months that lead me to the decision to stay for Spearhead Year Two:

Thoughts on home
Wrestling with the issue of what makes "a good missionary"
God's heart for the nations all throughout the Bible
Ministry opportunities for the fall
A peace in staying

I will explain these in further detail in subsequent blog posts.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Thoughts about what makes a "good missionary" have been in the back of my head a lot lately, too. At times I feel myself wavering between condemnation, depression, and a critical spirit, but I want to have the right perspective... whatever that is!

Caro said...

Hey Abby,

I'm going to try to share my personal reflections on the subject in my next post. It has been a really difficult road at times, but looking back on it, I have been amazed to see what God has been teaching me! :-)

Love you!
Caro