Monday, July 11, 2011

Let the Nations Be Glad

As I was reading through the Bible during this time of seeking God's will for next year, I kept on encountering lots of references to "going to the nations" or "all the earth worshiping the Lord" all throughout.

To quote from John Piper's book Let the Nations Be Glad, "Missions exists because worship doesn't." One need only read the Bible for a short time to discover that the purpose of missions is to spread God's worship to all corners of the earth.

Now, this doesn't mean that I will necessarily be on the field for the rest of my life, but it did seem meaningful that I kept encountering these passages as I was in the process of seeking what God might have me do for next year.

This is an idea of some of the passages I encountered just in a few books of the Old Testament:

Therefore I will praise you, LORD, among the nations; I will sing the praises of your name.
-2 Sam. 22:50

Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.
-1 Chron. 16:24

Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let them say among the nations, “The LORD reigns!”
-1 Chron. 16:31

Here is a sampling from the Psalms alone:

Sing the praises of the LORD, enthroned in Zion; proclaim among the nations what he has done.
-Ps. 9:11

Therefore I will praise you, LORD, among the nations; I will sing the praises of your name. --Ps. 18:49

All the ends of the earth
will remember and turn to the LORD,
and all the families of the nations
will bow down before him,
for dominion belongs to the LORD
and he rules over the nations.
--Ps. 22:27-28

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
--Ps. 46:10

Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy.
--Ps. 47:1

I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples.
--Ps. 57:9

May the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you rule the peoples with equity and guide the nations of the earth.
--Ps. 67:4

All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, Lord; they will bring glory to your name.
--Ps. 86:9

Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.
--Ps. 96:3

Ascribe to the LORD, all you families of nations, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.
--Ps. 96:7

The nations will fear the name of the LORD, all the kings of the earth will revere your glory.
--Ps. 102:15

Give praise to the LORD, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done.
--Ps. 105:1

I will praise you, LORD, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples.
--Ps. 108:3

**********

Staying for a second year will allow me to be part of spreading the Lord's fame so that He might be exalted among the nations.


No comments: