Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hearts of Fire

The book I am currently reading, Hearts of Fire, is a challenge to say the least. Researched and presented by Voice of the Martyrs, it relates the stories of Christian women around the world who have suffered and lost everything for their faith in Christ Jesus. These women, through God's strength resisted all threats and refused to renounce their Savior.

Their stories have been such a convicting reminder that a Christian life of safety, security and ease is not mandatory, and is very unusual in most parts of the world. I thank God that I am able to worship and speak about Him freely (though I confess I don't take advantage of those blessings regularly enough) in our country. However, I think that I can all too easily fall into the thinking that this is the normal Christian life.

Thoughts to meditate on:

--I must be living to the fullest in view of my unparalleled freedom in America. There is no excuse to not be praying and worshiping openly or sharing the gospel all the time.

-- I must not think that this life will always be this way, but should be preparing my mind soul and spirit for persecution, whether in America or elsewhere. I should not think that God is punishing me if (or when) persecution arises, but should seek to be faithful and bring Him glory through it.

-- I must remember that I am part of a global church and that there I have Christian brothers and sisters in all parts of the world that are experiencing horrific atrocities... And I should be praying for them.

-- I must not hesitate to follow God somewhere that would be considered unsafe (Mexico, for instance) realizing that as Christians we will be persecuted for following Jesus. That is natural. That is in the Bible (a more exhaustive Bible study to follow). The darkest, most evil places of the earth are places where the gospel has not yet penetrated and therefore places that are most in need of the light of the gospel.

-- I must realize that my Savior suffered and died for me. To not be willing to suffer and die for Him is to not follow Him fully.

I praise God for the freedom that I have to publish this post on the Internet without fear of persecution! I realize that a day might come when there will be extreme consequences for speaking openly about Jesus, (as there already are in so much of the world) but pray for the Lord's strength, if and when that time comes. May the Lord strengthen me to withstand any test so that I may stand before God and hear "Well done, good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of your Lord."

No comments: