Thursday, October 19, 2017

Missionary or Hero?

Another lingering question after the earthquake is:  What is the appropriate response for a missionary after a natural disaster like this?  Does Avance abandon standard Avance practice and strike out on our own to go "save the world?"  Many people were rushing around doing things in the days right after the earthquake, but there actually got to be too many piles of food in some places, and so many volunteers that they were jeopardizing the rescue operations.  The military and police crews even had to block people from entering.

There were so many truly heroic first responders who literally removed rubble by hand to aid in the rescue efforts of those trapped under buildings, and I am so truly impressed by how the city immediately mobilized.  Mexico has my heart, my love, my compassion, and my respect!  I think that I am just trying to figure out what my role is in the midst of all of this. 

I have been struggling with people's comments that we should have sent the team into the rubble as soon as the earthquake hit.  My duty was to keep the team safe, though, and honestly, what would they have been able to accomplish anyway?  They are all barely out of college (one barely out of high school!), and may don't even speak enough Spanish to interact with rescue teams anyway.  In addition to breaking faith with their families back home, I'm not sure that they would have even made enough of a difference to justify it!

This is an ongoing question for me moving forward, as I am trying to be faithful to my current role as Avance interim director, but also wondering what more I can be doing to bless this country and aid in rescue efforts.  It's hard to avoid the desire to do grand, noble, visible work, in favor of quiet, behind the scenes, but necessary work.  Please pray for me, and for our team, as we try to find this balance.

No comments: