Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Then and Now


Then:  I moved into a barren apartment, with no curtains, bed, or any kind of storage for my clothes.  
Now:  In my own apartment, with all the necessary amenities,  as well as even some "unnecessary" ones.  My apartment has become a place of refreshment to me, as well as hospitality towards others.

Then:  No Internet.
Now: Still no Internet sometimes... ;-)  Much better, though!  

Then:  No phone or way to communicate with the outside world.  
Now:  Well connected with my friends and family both here and in the States.  Y'all, if you don't have it, get WhatsApp!  We can text!

Then:  Didn't even know how to get to church my first Sunday, and we ended up being 40 minutes late!
Now:  I am happily plugged into church, Sunday school, and a really great Bible study on Monday nights.

Then: Starting to get the hang of my role as Avance Program Coordinator (for more info on what that looks like, see my previous post).
Now:  Feeling much more confident in the role -- and loving it!

Then:  I was six weeks out of my latest surgery and nervous to do too much strenuous activity.
Now:  I was able to be part of a very intense choreography routine over the fall, and also enjoy jumping on my mini trampoline and doing strength training for exercise.  



Some things haven't changed:
I am happy to say that I was able to "hit the ground running" in many ways a year ago.  Because I was familiar with the city and fluent in Spanish, I was able to jump into ministry and life here much faster and with not nearly as steep of a learning curve.  I am also so blessed to have my host family, wonderful fellow staff members, and a community of Mexican friends, as well.  They helped me to avoid the "transition deficit" of missing community that so many experience when moving to a new country and leaving their former support structures behind.  

You all haven't changed, either!!  I am so blessed to have you on my team, supporting me personally and the work that I am doing here!  As I remember the love, prayers, and gifts with which you sent me off last year, I am so overwhelmed with thankfulness.  

I'm looking forward to what God has in store for the upcoming years!  :-)

1 comment:

btckesb said...

I am so thankful for you, dear daughter! Keep close track of Mom while she is down there with you. (She likes to wander...) ;-)

Anyway, it is great to look back on our lives and see where God has brought us and be thankful. Thank you for setting it in print, complete with examples.

Very much love,
Dad