Monday, November 2, 2015

He Carries Me While I Walk

The popular poem “Footprints in the Sand” speaks of how sometimes in life we walk
with God, and other times, He carries us. While I appreciate the sentiment, I would say that in my life, God has carried me every step that I have walked!  My two years in Mexico were anything but the way that I had planned it. In fact, I went to Mexico as a missionary, without even planning to be a missionary! I just saw it as good ministry training for when I returned to the States. 

But God had other plans.

My one-summer commitment turned into a year, which turned into two years. All the while, I was feebly and fearfully trying to follow God. All the while, He was sovereignly leading me. Then came the advice of one of my leaders to return to the States and pursue further Biblical and counseling training which would serve me in future missions work. I had no idea what awaited me, or even whether I would return to the mission field after the end of three years’ schooling. I felt flighty and unsure of what my future would look like, so I just focused on being faithful in the present. And God continued to lead me.

This past May, I graduated from seminary with a Master’s of Theological Studies and an emphasis in Biblical counseling. I plan to be using that degree on the mission field in Mexico City as soon as I can finish fundraising and training for the position. I’m going under long-term status, with no idea what that is going to look like. I tell people that “long-term” just means “no fixed end date. Could be two years. Could be sixty!” Even though there is a huge degree of uncertainty as I stand here on the brink, I also am so excited. It is an incredible feeling to be so close to heading back to a country that I love so much. And I am thrilled to know that the same God who has carried me all of my life will also carry me in these next steps.

No comments: