Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Sanctified Perspective on To-Do Lists

My to-do list sometimes looks like sheer torture... other times they're about as exciting as watching paint dry.   Whatever the case, I generally cringe when I think about it.  And I would imagine that it's the same for you.  When was the last time you looked at your to-do list and thought, "Boy, this is gonna be fun!"  or "What an awesome day I have in store for me!" or "I wish that these 20 tasks weren't the only things I get to do today... maybe I can think up more!"?  The truth is, sometimes it takes all of our strength to just plow through our to-do lists.

However, lately God has been teaching me an important lesson about the tasks He has given me for each day:  I am to do them joyfully, as working to the Lord, not for men (Col. 3:23) and to do anything I do for the glory of God (1 Cor. 10:31).  As I keep these verses in mind, it has challenged me to be praying throughout the day that God would give me a correct perspective and a cheerful attitude as I do tasks that at best might seem mundane and at worst downright difficult.  And the crazy thing is, that doesn't change my tasks at all, but it changes my attitude!  And God gives me the strength to complete what I have before me each day... for His glory!

Here's a great song for getting pumped up in the morning to hit that to-do list.  Do Everything:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEqdDdvFXZ0

If you're liked this post, here are some other blog posts/resources that would also be an encouragement:
The poem "If"  http://carodeemer.blogspot.com/2011/04/if.html
Book review of Do Hard Things:  http://carodeemer.blogspot.com/2010/08/do-hard-things.html

No comments: