Thursday, January 5, 2012

Resolved

Thinking about New Year's resolutions can either be a scary undertaking or a reason to hope.  Or, if you're like me, it can be a little of both.  Taking on some of my biggest challenges, giving myself freedom to dream, and holding myself to a higher standard are exciting; things I look forward to with anticipation of gaining more ground and growth.  However, they are also scary as I consider the past, littered with broken resolutions, and wonder why I could hope that this year will be any different.  But I'm sure going to try.

Here are a few resources that are encouraging me:

-Reading through Jonathan Edwards resolutions (talk about a high standard!!)  -- http://www.apuritansmind.com/the-christian-walk/jonathan-edwards-resolutions/
-Continuing the process of creating a "Rule of Life", or set of ideals by which I wish to live (made attainable by being divided into practical, measurable goals)
- Reading Jon Acuff's blog posts about what he has termed the "Finish Year"  http://www.jonacuff.com/blog/
- The blessing of being surrounded by many like-minded people who also want to see me succeed and grow.  Based in Mexico as well as the States, these dear friends and family pray for me and keep me accountable.
- And most importantly, I know that God gives second chances.  His mercies are new every morning and every new year.  Since He wants me to mature, God will also give me the strength and encouragement I need along the way... and He is patient and forgiving when I am not perfect.  :-)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

hollerrr for second chances. i would love to skype sometime, i will try to log in more often to see if you are on. let me know if you have an inkling of an idea when could be a good time

Caro said...

I so agree, Rachel! Um... as far as a good Skype time goes, I'll let you know. :-)